[OM] Re: FS 90/2, was Retailer praise

Subject: [OM] Re: FS 90/2, was Retailer praise
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:24:26 +0000
I agree with Moose on this one.  While the 90/2 is an impressive looking and
performing lens, it's built funny, with the aperture and focus rings juxtaposed
in a very un-Zuikoish manner, and 1:2 doesn't really do it for me either.  My
solution is the much lighter, cheaper and, in my opinion, equally sharp 90/2.8
Tamron, which gets to 1:1 sans accoutrement.  The Tamron's controls are
backwards too, but, it not being a Zuiko, that's forgivable.

My 90/2 is becoming a shelf queen, although it does see some use.  And it has
the strange habit of occasionally causing my champagne 4Ti to lock up in
mid-exposure, requiring a twist of the lens in the direction of mounting to
untangle things and complete the cycle.  This doesn't happen with any of the
other 5 OM-4(T)(i) bodies, and none of the other 30+ lenses behaves like this
on the champagne 4Ti.  I just avoid this combination, of course, but it's quite
a mystery.

Of course, it's foolish to badmouth this lens when we should be praising it and
declaring it a virtual necessity for the well-equipped Zuikoholic in order to
boost its resale value.  I'll hold onto mine until everyone forgets these
gripes.  Damn the archives.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
> > <>OM content - they have a 90/2 listed in 8+ condition in the mid-400's.
>
> OK, I give up. I bought this 90/2. And it really is a beautiful piece of
> Zuiko metal and glass. And I just don't care for it.
>
> The problem is nothing to do with the lens. It's in great shape and
> takes wonderful pics. It's me. I am just not happy with a macro that
> only goes to 1:2 without fussing with tubes, adapters, etc. I just like
> to shoot too much stuff on one side or the other of 1:2 and am too lazy
> to keep putting things on and off from shot to shot.
>
> I think my old way, an 85/2 for 'regular' use and a Kiron 105/2.8 that
> goes directly from infinity to 1:1 for macro is right for me. Heck, I
> might even prefer to carry aroud the 135/4.5 on a bellows, A bit
> awkward, but I can go smoothly across that 1:2 barrier. I've done it before.
>
> I coveted 90/2 for a long time, but now that I have it, it's clear it
> will just sit on the shelf, looking good but little used, so it should
> have a home where it will be more appreciated..

[snip]