[OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:48:55 -0700
That is the idea, phase cancellation, but it does have limitations.
About 10 db is all that any of them reduce the ambient noise with the
electronic bit. Plus the ambient noise has to be steady state, like the
roar on an air liner. Other non-steady state noises are not affected as
much. So you hear things like your neighbor's music, the baby crying on
the airplane, and pretty much everything except the white noise which
you don't really notice after a while anyway. One advantage is that you
can carry on a conversation with someone while listening to your music.
In-the-ear phones with good seals can drop the outside sound level
about 30 db. That saves your hearing from the noise and from not having
to turn up the volume to hear the music, but you have to take them off
to carry on a conversation.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA
http://homepage.mac.com/wincros/PhotoAlbum3.html