[OM] Re: Question on DVDs

Subject: [OM] Re: Question on DVDs
From: Jonas Otter <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:24:32 +0200
John Hermanson wrote:

> Taiyo Yuden & Ritek are unknown brands here, that is, atleast I've never
> seen them at Best Buy.  Thanks for the info.
>
> John Hermanson

Usually you will find their discs under various other labels. Ritek
(www.ritek.com) supply a lot of medium-quality discs under private labels, they
are a very large manufacturer. Taiyo Yuden (www.t-yuden.com) I believe are
among the very best, as are Kodak.

There are computer programs which will tell you the manufacturer from the
encoding on the disc, however since this is pressed physically into the tracks
on the disc, it only gives the name of the company that supplied the glass
master, not the name of the company that coated the disc. The coating and
reflective layer are what distinguish good discs from average or bad ones. Some
discs may have an OK coating but a reflective layer that comes off after a few
months.

Jonas