[OM] Re: travel kit

Subject: [OM] Re: travel kit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:55:36 -0700
Mike wrote:

>>>But were the snowfields you saw in the pic you just posted really that blue,
>>>or the usual blinding white?
>>>

>>>Moose
>>>

>You're right Moose. It is too blue. I just never corrected the color.
>Real life is somewhere between the two examples which you posted. Skies
>aren't that blue

I figured, but it was just for fun, so I just left it a 6-7,000 ft. sky.
You probably don't get that kind of clouds up there either, but they
were cute. :-)

>.... The main reason I posted it was to show the black sky.

And a very useful illustration it is, too. It graphically showes both
the unnatural sky you get with a polarizer at high altitude and the
unnatural overall blue cast at altitude without a fliter that I was
talking about. I have nowhere near as good an example as you have provided.

Of course, correction is simple with this subject. If the Peruvian AF
heli were a strong blue, and you took a shot of it on the snowfield, it
would be a different story. Correction for the overall blue cast from UV
would wash out the heli.

Thanks,
   Moose