[OM] Re: Lost in the mail (Tokina 200mm F3.5 OM)

Subject: [OM] Re: Lost in the mail (Tokina 200mm F3.5 OM)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:08:44 -0700
Olympus User wrote:

>The 200mmF4 is listed as not so sharp, but has a 55mm filter..

The problem with the 200/4 is not lack of optical sharpness, but
vibration when used on a tripod with inadequate vibration supression.
Gary did a lot of testing of the 200/4 with various bodies and lens
supports, and the best of them are really quite good. B/B- wide open and
at f/32 and all A through B+ at all other apertures is a mighty fine
test result. In practical use hand held, it's no better or worse than
any other similar length lens in vibration, as one's hands damp
vibration. On a tripod, hold the camera and lens with both hands while
pressing down gently, but firmly, and it is fine.

>I'm wondering however, if I should throw more money into my OM....  My
>meter is way off...  time for a CLA.

You don't perchance have the alkaline battery that is the same size and
shape as the no longer available mercury battery? Or a smaller silver
oxide battery with a ring to make it fit? Both will throw the meter way off.

Moose