[OM] Re: Digital, digital, digital. Bah, humbug!

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, digital. Bah, humbug!
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:05:32 -0500
At 12:41 PM 4/13/2005, you wrote:
>Maybe it's just today, but with the overload of digital posts, I feel
>myself fading away, particularly now that I have at last come to
>understand why the whole digital thing just doesn't really tickle my fancy
>and why, last month, for about the same money, an old Mamiya RB67 Pro-S
>and a gaggle of lenses, et al., interested me much more than a new Olympus
>E-1 and a cluster of its glass.  It's really quite simple, and I am
>mystified and a little ashamed that I hadn't figured it out sooner.

You're not alone.  I am still not drawn at all to digital and we're
definitely not alone.  There are number of things I have been doing and
will continue to do that are much more difficult or complex with digital
compared to film gear.  I'm preparing to fire up the Mamiya M645 system
along with some of the OM macro gear to start making some more photographs
destined for large prints.  Been in a slump and haven't been inspired by
much lately since the glass works project, but have some ideas for a couple
projects that will occupy the next few months into at least
mid-Summer.  Although one project for mid-May will use Portra 100UC (in the
Mamiya M645) I'm drifting into using more B/W for some reason . . . perhaps
it's the desire to study shape and texture in a more abstract
manner.  There's another project I'll likely do using Scala 200X pulled to
EI-100.

>I feel much better now that it's all clear to me and I understand why I'm
>doing what I'm doing.  Maybe I'll be a good old soldier and explain it all
>before I pull a McArthur and fade away completely.  Not being confused and
>conflicted anymore, I'm enjoying doing what I'm doing, which is exactly
>what I've been doing for years, even more than before, when, for a while,
>I didn't understand why I was still doing what I had been doing when other
>people who had been doing what I was doing were suddenly doing something
>different.

Clarity of vision is what I've been waiting on for nearly a year.  If you
have it, then execute it, and if what you have been using works well for
it, then change for the sake of change gains naught.  The end result and
ability to achieve the visualization is what counts.

>Bottom line: none of us are wrong.

Well said.  It's the photograph that counts.

BTW, I read your sig and there will be a show of Edward Weston prints in
Indianapolis during May.  I plan to go.  I have long admired his work along
with others of the original Group f/64.

-- John Lind