[OM] Re: Eastern WA trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Eastern WA trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:35:40 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

>Mike wrote
>

>>Also was wondering about the brightness. A bit too dark? Comments from
>>another monitor's perspective welcomed. Haven't tried a print yet.
>>

>Yes, Mike, now that you raise the point, I agree. In fact I have played around
>with varying degrees of reduced contrast, increased brightness and
>increased colour saturation ( to restore the colour to the clouds and sky if
>the overall brightness is increased), and not been happy with any of the
>results of what I tried.
>
>I think I understand what you envisaged when you took the shot, and hope
>you can figure out what needs to be done to achieve that.

 I agree that it is just a little dark on my monitor. But I think the
shadows in the hills and the subtlety of the foreground give it its
power. Is this closer to what you are imagining
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Palouse.htm>?

I tried not to lose too much of the mystery in the hills while bringing
up the green to a little more of a spring color on my monitor. With a
very wet winter and spring, the hills around here are amazing shades of
green. I also added a bit of drama to the sky and took out the
vignetting. I also seem to have removed some cloud in the upper left;
oops, didn't mean to do that.

>The main problem to my mind is the excessively dark foreground field.

I actually broke the image into three bands and adjusted them
separately. I don't think any overall adjustment will be very
successful, as what each area needs is different. In the case of the
dark foreground field, I ended up only lightening it a tiny bit and
adding some contrast. Any lighter and it started bringing too much
attention down there, rather than holding the base of the composition,
which I find important.

Another 2 cents from,
    Moose