[OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:36:46 +0100
That was entertaining Walt, thanks :-)

On 14 Apr 2005, at 19:12, Walt Wayman wrote:

> I don't usually drive on the Interstate highways unless there's some
> urgency to get from here to there.  I am, however, eternally thankful
> for the Interstate system, because it attracts the big rigs, the motor
> homes, the hell-bent-for-leather, "got to make 800 miles today"
> tourists, the U-Haul movers, stinky busses, and all the other
> undesirables, keeping them off the "back roads" where I travel.  It
> may take me a little longer to get where I'm going, but it's a whole
> lot more fun, more relaxing, more interesting, and offers many more
> photographic possibilities.  I learned a long time ago that, as often
> as not, the getting there is more enjoyable than the being there.
> That, I guess, sort of sums up my photographic philosophy.

Our interstate equivalents, the motorways, were intended to make travel
faster, but many of them are full.  I travelled up the A1 (formerly the
Great North Road) this morning to get to the dentist at another RAF
station and that was fine, but it is 4 lanes wide in places and we
haven't the space for more and more lanes of motorway ...

... but this is not a rant; it's an agreement about travelling the back
roads.  A couple of years ago I drove the back way to a course up north
and passed along the road next to a canal.  As I did, a family of swans
beat the water and took off, flying level with my head about 20 yards
away.  Needless to say I slowed down to watch; the road was empty and
the sun was setting so their plumage was a warm white.

And how do you deal with 120 film and spirals?  It is just a bit too
wide to make it easy to feed on.  In Amateur Photographer a few months
ago there was an article instructing its readers in how to feed 2 rolls
into one spiral, requiring you to stick one edge to another with tape
in the dark!  Why bother?

I'm glad that you're happy with your lot.

Chris