[OM] Re: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:46:54 -0600
At 04:14 PM 14/04/2005, you wrote:

[snip]

>I've heard/read some very good things about both the Zuiko 18mm and Zuiko
>21mm lenses.  I know there are several versions of the 21mm, and would like
>to hear from some of you which you think are the best versions for my use
>(see below).

I own the 21/2.0 Zuiko, and it's saved my bacon more than a few times,
especially in some low-light situations where I was hand-holding (couple of
cathedrals in France, ferinstance...).  For European street photography,
I'm a slave to the 21/2.0 and the 28/2.0.  It's razor-sharp, and bright,
bright, bright.  I purchased my LN- example a few years ago for $550.00
U.S., and along with the 28/2.0, it's probably the best Zuiko purchase I've
made.  (The 28/2.0 has its own charms -- virtually zero barrel distortion!)

I don't own the 21/3.5, but it's got a good rep, particularly if you need a
lens that's super-tiny and lightweight.  Not that "large and heavy" are the
defining charcateristics of Zuikos in any case, but you know, always
looking to shave a few more grams off the kit...   ;-)

Garth