[OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??

Subject: [OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:18:40 -0500
At 10:55 PM 4/15/2005, Joel Wilcox wrote:

>Also the beloved 35-70/3.5-4.5.
>
>Joel W.

An oblique observation about variable aperture zooms . . .
Many of the older variable aperture zooms are f/3.5~4.5 across their focal
length range.  This is +/- 1/3rd f-stop on each side of f/4.  In estimating
or predicting the likely exposure requirements outdoors (and therefore the
working range available) I've always thought of them as basically f/4
lenses.  It isn't nearly the severity of aperture range I see on many
current zoom lenses.

-- John Lind