[OM] Re: WTB Zuiko 24 shift

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB Zuiko 24 shift
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:58:17 +0200

On 14 Apr 2005, at 07:11, Jeff Keller wrote:

> Olympus put MC on the multi-coated lenses early on but later quit doing
> that. So a lens that is MC but isn't labeled MC is probably a newer
> lens.
> Some of the more common lenses have multiple design revisions.
>
> Serial nos. don't always tell the age either. When they changed
> versions
> they apparently sometimes rounded up or sometimes started from a low
> serial
> number again.
>
> http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/
> http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/LensXCoatings.txt

Jeff is right -- and this really strikes me as odd (well, not that Jeff
is right -- that happens -- but that the serial numbers are as they
are). It kinda defeats the whole purpose of having serial numbers in
the first place ;)

Here's a question: anyone knows if there're duplicate serial numbers?
I.e. if "they" started with a new low number when redoing the design,
and then "caught up" with numbers already used?

Not that it matters much, but it's a piece of OM-trivia which I think
we've not yet discussed to death ;)

--thomas

(ps: yes, I am bored -- it's a 10h flight, and I'm taking it out
through chattering with you guys...sorry)