[OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??

Subject: [OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:23:07 -0700
The Tamron 80-200/2.8 isn't an elephant tusk? It's been quite awhile since
I've seen a Vivitar S1 70-210, but IRRC the Tamron is slightly bigger.
Perhaps my experience is pretty limited but the only zooms I've seen that
are bigger than the 80-200/2.8 have significantly longer focal lengths.

When I bought my 70-150 many years ago I remember looking at the Vivitar S1
70-210 (which had been getting great reviews) and betting that I would never
take it backpacking. I've never regretted getting the Zuiko 70-150/4. I
think an aperture of f4 in that focal range almost defines it as "consumer"
grade. The "pro" grade would aim for more speed. I've been very happy with
the quality of the pictures from the 70-150/4 and personally think of the
trade off more as weight vs. speed rather than consumer vs. pro. Most of the
Zuko telephoto range would fall into the consumer vs. pro class. The desired
small size forces that trade off. The plastic/Cosina versions were a latter
trade off that was made. YMMV

-jeff