[OM] re What's a Fang?

Subject: [OM] re What's a Fang?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:37:55 -0400
The lurking Jay asked:
On another subject; excuse the ignorance, what is a FANG?  I gather an
incredible buy, is it an acronym or is it named after someone (Phyllis
Diller's husband)?
--------------------------

Well, I don't think anyone here has ever seen her so we don't know if
Doris Fang looks anything like Phyllis Diller or, heaver forbid, her
poor husband Fang.

Doris Fang was a member of the list from somewhere in Florida (I don't
recall exactly where) who used to prowl all the garage sales early in
the morning.  She would frequently report finding the most incredible
deals and cause us all to be instantly envious.  She was the proof that
the early bird got the Zuiko.

In any event it didn't take too long for Doris's  (did I get that right,
Piers?) great deals to be termed Fangs.  Now, by extension to the other
members of the list a great deal on a piece of gear is also termed a Fang.

I'm sure many who are reading this are wondering (as I am) what ever
happened to Doris.  She had been a fairly frequent contributor who
simply disappeared without saying goodbye.  I hope she's still well.

Chuck Norcutt