[OM] Re: re What's a Fang?

Subject: [OM] Re: re What's a Fang?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:24:04 +1000
$70 - that's a fang. Fang as in getting your teeth into something worth
chewing? Who knows - it just took on as a descriptor. Makes more sense
to you at that moment when someone suggests that they charge you $50
for a lens worth approximately twenty times that amount. Suddenly you
find yourself unable to let go of it, the fingers lock and every muscle
in your body is concentrating on remaining impassive, much like a
bulldog with its teeth in a leg. At this point the true fanger should
say to the fangee something like, "Hmmm...it's not exactly what I was
looking for - would you take $40?"
Local examples - the guy I know who bought a nice, clean, working Nikon
One for $400 - want to guess what he sold it for? And another friend
who got a rare model Hansa Canon (NS- less that 100 made) with original
Nikon 50/2 for $300 - that went for $10,000 with a jammed shutter.
It's something well beyond a mere bargain and yes, it's a steal. It's
an OK thing to do to a store as they're supposed to know better - it's
an awful thing to do to a frail and elderly widow of a photographer but
you just keep telling yourself that if she'd taken a proper interest in
the noble pursuit, she'd know wouldn't she? Or you just adopt the
ethics of a W.C. Fields character.
Fang level is determined by physiological and psychosocial indicators -
the amount you sweated in millilitres while paying (and waiting for
another store assistant to chip in, "hag on a minute..."), adjusted for
ambient temperature of course; the volume in decibels of your laughter
release after you've got well away around the corner; the length of
time and frequency of your bragging to friends, neighbors, list members
and perfect strangers.
AndrewF