[OM] Re: Was: New 90/2 Macro shots by GeneW. Is: OM wiki book

Subject: [OM] Re: Was: New 90/2 Macro shots by GeneW. Is: OM wiki book
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:49:04 -0600
At 09:12 AM 17/04/2005, Chris Barker wrote:

>What does "wiki" mean Jez?  I failed to ask when Roger Wesson mentioned
>it last time.

Chris:

A "wiki," roughly speaking, is a website powered by software which allows
virtually anyone to modify or create the site's content.  It's ideal for
distributed contributors to a single project, say, an online "book."  For
an example of a sophisticated, wildly successful (and HUGE) wiki, go to
Wikipedia at:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

to get a taste of what a wiki is capable of.  Of course, were we to
re-start the wiki project for the Olympus "book," I'm assuming it would be
much more modest...   ;-)

To read about the wiki software directly, go to:

      http://www.wiki.org/

It follows logically, of course, that virtually anyone with a website
(hosted by someone else or on your own hardware) can start a wiki about
anything, as long as the website you have access to allows you to
install/configure the open-source wiki software.

Garth