[OM] Re: Jumping on the E-1 bandwagon (was: E-1 FS in New Zealand)

Subject: [OM] Re: Jumping on the E-1 bandwagon (was: E-1 FS in New Zealand)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:09:44 -0500
At 04:53 PM 4/17/2005 +0000, Walt you wrote:
>I think of a fly fisherman -- me maybe -- standing in a mountain stream,
>casting toward a deep, shaded, deep and still pool, trying to entice a big
>ol' brownie to come up and take a bite.  If he does, it's a great day.  If
>he doesn't, it's still a great day.  The fishing, not the catching, is
>what it's all about.
>
>Then I see a couple of good ol' boys out on a lake in a motorboat, with no
>rods, reels or other tackle, just a few sticks of dynamite.  After the
>boom, they just skim off the keepers, throw 'em in the boat and let the
>rest sink or float away.
>
>Either way, I guess you can call it fishin'.
>
>Walt, gone fishin'

I don't think you could call both activities "fishin'."  No sir.  The one
is a sport and the other is completely unsportsmanlike, or rather criminal,
in nature.

But it reminds me of a friend from Wisconsin.  He really knew some good
places to fish and just when they were biting.  He would take an unwitting
friend who would agree to clean the fish for him for a share of the catch,
completely unaware of what he was in for.  Then he would reel in walleye
and northern one after another so that when his friend had cleaned one as
fast as he could, there would be another one waiting for him before he
could even get his hands clean.

One can have so much success that it seems unsportsmanlike, but success is
just success, and success is a pretty OK thing.

Now it seems like there ought to be some kind of application here to
photography.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  But the bleeding heart
are in their trembling glory, so I'd better get out there while the light
is holding, and maybe I'll think about it some more.

Joel W.