[OM] Re: OM Pix in Print

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Pix in Print
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:42:06 -0500
At 06:18 AM 4/18/2005, Chuck Norcutt wondered:
>Out of curiosity, how does the Terre Haute Tribune Star know to contact
>you for 5 year old photographs for one of their feature articles?

I wondered the same thing when I got the email from them and asked.

Google!

Either their photo editor or the writer of the article used Google (and/or
other search engines) looking for White River State Park photographs.  The
lady I talked to mentioned my name and my photographs from my web site (and
elsewhere) kept showing up at the top of the list.  They went to my web
site and emailed me from there.
:-)))

All the requests for my photographs have resulted from approximately the
same the first time I've been contacted about photo usage in that
manner.  My work is not in any stock agency and I don't advertise anything
. . . just a modest web site with my galleries and email address.  Don't
ask me to explain why my name and some of the subject material I have on my
site bubbles to the top of Google.  I don't know; it just does!  Google
very carefully guards the algorithms they use to determine what floats up
to the top to prevent people from doing things deliberately to ensure their
stuff floats upward.

Thanks,
-- John Lind