[OM] Re: Semi-off topic question about backup of e-1 digital files

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi-off topic question about backup of e-1 digital files
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:40:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>                                       So tell me if  I'm headed in the right
> direction.  1) Store all my digital photo files  that I intend to keep on a
> separate external hard drive. 2) Have a second external hard drive of the
> same capacity to back up these files. or I could have  external drive one
> be larger, have it partitioned in such a way as to  store all my photo files
> in one partition and back up my other files in the  other partition and then
> use the second external drive to only back up my photo  files.

That's basically what I do, with a few little additional precuations.  I use
a second internal hard drive to backup up the primary drive (never use a
second partition on the same physical drive!).  If you have XP Pro the Windows
backup software which comes with it works well (schedule the backup so that
it runs automatically every night).  In addition to this backup I have a
second machine make a nightly backup via the network.  This is important
to ensure that something catastropic such as a virus or a failed power
supply doesn't wipe out both the primary and local backup, both of which are
in the same machine.  Every couple of months I copy the most recent backup
to a set of DVD's and store those off site just in case something really
bad happens at home.
                                -mark