[OM] Re: Speaking of batteries and flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Speaking of batteries and flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:50:15 -0400
I think the Schnozz must have been referring to Wal-Mart.  The largest
retailer in the world and the one that everyone loves to hate.

I also use Wally World to refer to Disney World.  My recollection is
that the term comes from Chevy Chase's comedy movie "Vacation" where he
is packing the family off to a large amusement park called Wally World.
To me it has always been a not-so-subtle stand-in for (Walt) Disney World.

Chevy Chase certainly played the amiable idiot.  Maybe there's a
connection.  But "wally" certainly doesn't have such a meaning in the US
that I'm aware of.  English language slang strikes me as not moving too
easily from country to country.  Maybe it changes too rapidly for it to
be disseminated even by modern, rapid communications.

Chuck Norcutt