[OM] Re: Semi-off topic question about backup of e-1 digital files

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi-off topic question about backup of e-1 digital files
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:56:55 -0400
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> I suspect 160 Gig or 250 Gig of DVDs  would take up more space than the
>>> hard drive, would load slower and be harder to  manage.
>
> Yep. I think you're right. You might also take your computer down to the
> local computer geeks and get a mother-large internal hard drive installed
> use for backup. Same capacity, but inside the box. Even faster access . .
> .
> When I had a new drive installed, I had 'em leave the old one in place.
> That's the first line of backup. Second line is DVDs.
>
> Just a thought . . .

I go with external USB2 drives.  I have over a terabyte and a half (1,500
GB) for both images and video.

I have one 60GB drive that is very small (laptop drive).  Weekly I backup my
key images to it and keep it out of the house.  What's the point in copies
if they all burn up together?

My 'media machine', an inexpensive Dell, is the backup server for our entire
house.  I use a shareware product called SyncBack that is perfect.  I have
at least two, and in some cases three, copies of every digital image that i
have.

Tom