[OM] Re: OT scam virus?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT scam virus?
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:18:04 -0500
At 07:36 AM 4/20/2005, John Hermanson wrote:

>Here's a new one.  Someone sends you an email and says that somehow HE is
>getting your email on his account.  So far, 10 emails have come in. As a
>'favor' he's compressed them into a zip file and attached them.  Attached
>file is about 74K.  More likely it's a virus, worm, trojan.  Mail originates
>from Denmark. Do not open.

Not just likely a worm . . . it *is* a worm . . . I have been getting them
off and on since the beginning of April . . . three today . . . all
identified as "W32/Mytob.gen@MM" . . . my log shows having received (and
quashed) 15 of them including the minor variants.

I've also noted a quantum leap in SPAM very recently.  So has my employer's
IT department and their "filtering" of it at the firewalls isn't working
very well any more.  So much for the efficacy of the CAN-SPAM Act.

-- John Lind