[OM] Re: OM-1 mercury cells / adapter / recalibration

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 mercury cells / adapter / recalibration
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:58:38 +0200

On 20 Apr 2005, at 14:31, Simon Worby wrote:

<SNIP>

> 9. "'Conversions' done by some other shops [...] often include nothing
> more than centring the needle with the eccentric at a mid BV. (JH)" Is
> it best, therefore, to buy a diode from Maplin and do it oneself? It
> doesn't seem very difficult...

I use the adaptors -- got a batch from John H. Works fine -- but then
again, my OM1's are all used for b/w which does have a little more
tolerance than, say, K25.

That said, next time the cameras go to a CLA, they go to either Clint
or John H (depending on whichever is closest when I hit US soil for
long enough). And I'll ask that a conversion be made. While adaptors
work, it's just one more failure-point (it's just not DIR to fix a
problem through equipment, when you can remove the problem *grin*)

I wonder if John/Clint could convert my 35RD in the same fashion too?
Hmm....I can't see why not, except if there's no space in the body.

Doing it yourself....hmm...if you know what you're doing and have the
"hands" and tools for it (getting measurements/exposure right and all
that) then why not? Otherwise, since there's emotional attachment to
the bodies, it's probably best to leave camera disassembly and
modification to the pros. nobody can decide on that point for you.

--thomas