[OM] Re: OT scam virus?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT scam virus?
From: "Paul Braun" <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:03:26 -0500
On 21 Apr 2005 at 22:23, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> I'm getting messages 'warning' me that another (unknown) email address
> has been added to my Paypal account. I'm assuming scam. The response
> addy's look kosher and the message is well written but there's no sign
> of such an intrusion on my Paypal account when I check. Making me
> nervous though - anyone familiar with this? AndrewF

The other thing you need to do -- either look at the html source behind the
message or hover over the link with your mouse to display the actual
address hiding behind the text.  It will always be some anonymous IP
address with a number of directories behind it where the phisher has a copy
of a legit ebay page cached, although all of the links will point to his server.

These bast*rds are very clever.  Usually, however, if you really read the
message, bad grammar and spelling will give it away.

Ebay will never ask you to click on a link in an email and enter private
information.

If you're ever in doubt, simply type the link address in manually instead of
clicking on it -- that will take you to the actual ebay page.

Better yet, just delete them.

Paul Braun, director
"One Night Jam" acoustic music series
Chicago Street Theatre
Valparaiso, IN

"Enjoy every sandwich" -- Warren Zevon
"At Microsoft, Quality is Job, oh, I dunno......maybe 7 or 8?"