[OM] My day at the races.

Subject: [OM] My day at the races.
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:44:46 EDT
Hey guys,
I spent an enjoyable 3 days at Texas Motor Speedway last weekend. Me  and six
other persons had a chance to "rent"  one of the track's  condo's for 4 days.
Part of the deal was pit passes for all 4 days and "hot"  passes for the
Saturday race.The last race I attended with pit  access before this weekend was
Dallas's one and only Formula  1 race held in 1984. To say I was a little rusty
with my panning technique  would be an understatement. In retrospect, I took
way too much gear. I took  2 OM 4T's, a 14, 18, 24, 35, 90, 180, 400, and 350.
I shot both color negative  and E6. I used the 14 for condo shots and the 35
and 90 in the pits.  For the fall race, I'm going to take the 35 and the 80-200
F2.8 or the 65-200  along with the 350. I took the 65-200 with me on Sunday
and it was perfect for  walking aroung the pits. There was plenty of light so I
used mostly E100 VS and  Ultra Color 100. At F5.6, shutter speeds ranged from
1/250 up to 1/1000  depending on the time of day. I'll join the 21'st century
someday and get a web  site so I can get you guys to critique my work. As I
edit 9 rolls of E100 VS,  the shots I thought were good were generally good and
when I thought I had a  whole lot of nothing, that's what I got. Oh well. You
gotta at least try. The  pro's were obvious with their Texas Motor Speedway
vests and 1D's. The pro's had  pit lane access during pre-race and other times.
I have to say that the pit pass  provided me plenty of excellent photo
opportunities without being allowed  in pit lane. As for gear, I saw a ton of
digital point and shoots and two  obviously talented persons carrying OM 2's.

Gary Faulkenberry