[OM] Re: Tripods

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:31:45 -0500
At 09:58 PM 4/25/2005, Albert wondered:
>Why don't more people shoot off tripods?  I understand hauling it around
>is a burden, but if my shots look like I'm a skitzoid on crack, maybe I
>should consider a steadier platform.  I'm wondering if this is the part of
>the "new" education system.

Most people, if they do have one, don't have a decent one.  The "Discount
Department Store" tripods readily available to "The Masses" are over-priced
and nearly worthless for holding a camera steady.  For "Joe Consumer"
making the photograph isn't really the goal . . . it's something to quickly
document the event or activity.  Using a tripod keeps Joe Consumer from
getting on with what he wants to do because it takes time.

>None of my friends who own a DSLR own a tripod, they somehow feel I'm "old
>fashioned" because I use a tripod..

ROFL!  Long ago and far away, the same perception existed within casual
film camera users about the more serious ones who continued to use tripods
as film formats and cameras got smaller and lighter.  It's hogwash.  I
don't use one as often as I should and suffer the consequences of wishing I
had afterward.  I'm getting more disciplined about it.

>Did I not get a memo that shooting off a tripod is no longer in fashion??

Not from me!

>But while I'm at it, I wanted to get an informal survey of how many of you
>"still" shoot off tripods..  I just bought a Manfrotto ball head, a big
>one, and it makes a huge difference..

I do . . . just used it heavily within the past week or so.  Then again,
I'm "old fashioned" for still using film.  Frankly, I don't care what
anyone thinks about *how* I'm making my photographs and gave up caring
about it long ago.  I've been known to crawl on the ground, climb on top of
stuff, kneel in running water, and do all manner of things no "normal
human" would do to make a photograph that executes my vision for its
perspective and composition.  Others can scoff at that all they want to . .
. but they won't have anything like the photographs I do . . . and at the
end of the day, that is what counts . . . the photographs.

-- John Lind