[OM] Re: Tripods

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods
From: Richard Lovison <sylv4700@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But while I'm at it, I wanted to get an informal survey of how many
> of you "still" shoot off tripods..  I just bought a Manfrotto ball
head, > a big one, and it makes a huge difference..

I use a Velbon EFL-4 any time I'm out in the field doing nature
photography.  It's light (3 lbs) and small enough to fit in a backpack
if I desire (a little over 16" completely closed) though I carry it
with my left hand while hiking.  Shooting NPS 160 usually with a
polarizer and small apertures leaves me with exposures under 1/60 of a
second most of the time.  I opted for a larger 3-way pan head (Velbon
PH360 - 2 1/4 lbs) for better support.  I've grown accustomed to the
large handle controlling both tilt and pan (loosening it slightly
allows one to pan... a bit more and one can tilt) that I doubt I'll
ever want to try a ball head. The only drawback for me so far is the
platform on the pan head is just large enough where I can't use the
Zuiko 85-250's tripod mount with the the Winder 2 on the OM-4t.

Richard