[OM] Re: Tripods

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:45:43 -0400
Albert, and all the others on this subject,

I have just spent most of the day shooting with a Bogen 410 on a Gitzo 320, and
will spend some of tomorrow doing more of the same, and in addition, I also own
two Tiltalls, but..........

Tripods are not a requirement for good photography, just as a 4x5 and Tri-x
souped in HC110 using the zone system aren't either. For some types of
photography, they range from valuable to essential. For others, they can be a
real nuisance.

I wouldn't even think about travel with one except for trips to rural areas in
my own car.  I'll be leaving for Italy in about a month, and the tripods stay
at home. I don't wnat to spoil my vacation getting one about, and I don't want
to be one of those people that use one in busy public spaces, getting in
everyone's way.

I also can't imagine street photography with tripod. Just imagine what the
results would have been if Cartier-Bresson had used one. Can you say Decisive
Hour?

And on the subject, would his photos have been better if they were critically
sharp?

A tripod is a tool. Just as a saw isn't a screwdriver, it has it's uses. Just
not for every job.

Bill Pearce

Oh, and you'll pry my 410 head from my cold, dead hands!

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.