[OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts
From: "BILL CLARK" <BCLARK@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:50:02 -0400
Yep you are right...S2 really is perfect with JPEG....but this does underscore
the fact that you need a good camera.

I personally do not know any digital shooter (except myself) who uses JPEG
bracketing....anyone here?  I found that RAW processing was such a waste of
time.  Bracketing can solve nearly all your shooting issues and is much faster
an cheaper than RAW.  This is what I really hate about digital
imaging....people only care about filling up their 5 gig CF cards and "fixing"
their shots later....my goal is to get the best I can first, but sadly
photography is just not like this anymore...it is all about volume.

But yes I still shoot RAW, but is is very rare....realistically there is not as
much a need for it as people say (or think).

Bill Clark wrote:
> I have been through this raw thing tons of times with my
> S2...

One thing to acknowledge, though, is the S2's ability to produce
probably the best in-camera JPEG file of any digital camera.

> With jpeg you may have to bracket your exposures....but this
> is something from the good ole manual focus days everyone
> seems to have forgotten now.  These are the rules I have
> followed and this have no need for RAW anymore except in real
> tight situations.  Problem with digital is that everyone wants
> the perfect right RIGHT AWAY...you never had that with film
> hence people bracketed their exposures.

Very good point!  We tend to do things differently with digital
cameras BECAUSE WE CAN.  Sometimes, reverting back to the old
tried and true methods that we've used for a zillion years isn't
a bad thing.

It is a pleasure to be able to shoot RAW in tough conditions
when you know that you can't quite get it right. But getting it
right BEFORE we press the shutter-release should be our goal.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com