[OM] Re: !Re: Re: RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: !Re: Re: RAW
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Vuescan has very poor color rendering (may be it need a
> profile to work) I'm
> really not interested in it. For exposure latitude, C1 can
> save 1 stop or
> more on the high end. Being a pro like you I think you need to
> try out the
> C1, it lets you work much much faster especially when you have
> to make  adjustment on each image.

C1 is very tempting, indeed. However, I'm one to try and push
the tools I have as far as they can go and one or two steps
farther.  Maybe later this year.

VueScan definitely has poor color rendering out-of-box.
However, by skewing the "brightness" setting (gamma) and
topping-and-tailing the histogram it gets very close. The color
balance is a tad wonky, but is easily corrected in post.  I have
only used VueScan to rescue pictures that the Minolta or Olympus
RAW converters choke on.  I also use VueScan to batch correct
JPEGs.  It's got it's advantages and sometimes is that perfect
hacksaw blade for tightening up a loose screw.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com