[OM] Re: [OT] I have returned

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] I have returned
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:09:09 -0400
I've had a triple bypass and two stents.  My pipes are now supposedly as
clean as they're gonna get.  I had the collagen plug with both stents
but it doesn't always work if they pump you full of enough blood thinner.

The first plug still had to be held in place with a belt and compress.
With the second stent they tried with no compress.  Didn't work as I
started "leaking" as they called it.  Then they tried the ordinary belt
and compress.  The "leaking" continued.  Then they brought out the big
gun.  An "L" shaped nylon bar about 15" long on the long leg of the "L"
and 4" on the other with a pressure pad underneath.  This one also had
belts to go around the waist and thigh and a strap that could be cinched
until the pressure pad became painful.  Then they attached an airpump to
the pressure pad and inflated it until it became more painful.  Then
they checked the pulse in my ankle and foot and kept pumping until the
blood stopped flowing.  Then they backed off the pressure until the
pulse started to return.  Better than bleeding to death from your
femoral artery but I won't say much more for it.

But the worst part was having to stay flat on my back for 12 hours
instead of the usual 6.  I can't stand to lay on my back for even 20
minutes as it gives me a really intense lower back ache.  They really
wanted me to stay on my back for another 12 hours but I finally
convinced the doctor to take a chance and let me sit up on the edge of
the bed.  I told him (and meant it) that the back pain was worse than
the bypass operation.  Back pain pretty much resolved within an hour or
two of being able to sit up and otherwise change positions.  I'm still
here.  Didn't bleed to death.

Chuck Norcutt