[OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: Coffin Interview RAW Thoughts
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:36:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, BILL CLARK wrote:

> fact is most digital users just fire at random and pick the best one...just
> act any retailer...first thing they say is "If you don't like your picture
> just delete it and take it again"  Digital photog is all volume.  I
> personally have seen pros (sports, wedding, etc) speak on this and yes....
> some shoot this way...gotta face facts.

Pro's likely have editors which cull through the shots and complete departments
which handle the archiving issue.  As an individual you learn very quickly
that more shots mean more back end work.  RAW increases the workflow even more
so I tend to shoot less when using RAW than jpg.  In theory the "fire at
random" method may sound like a good during the sales pitch, but they never
tell you the true cost of using that method.
                                                -mark