[OM] Re: RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:04:54 -0500
At 03:28 PM 4/28/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>I know I should stay out of this discussion since I'm a Luddite and don't
>do digital, but I see the premise for the RAW argument as being the same
>as my rationale for always shooting with the slowest and finest-grained
>film possible under the conditions I'm faced with.  You can't cook at home
>the rabbit you shot at and missed in the field.
>
>Walt

Yes, that's the premise.  But the facts which booger it up are somewhat
analogous to Provia F at ISO 100 compared with KM25.  If you insist that
KM25 is better because it is slower and harder to process than Provia F,
you arrive at some people's appreciation for RAW.

That misapprehension is then compounded when those people assume that you
can get a good photograph no matter how you fudge the exposure.

But all things being equal, RAW gives you more options, both real and
imagined ones. :)

The lovely thing is RAW is easy and very well-supported on the E-1.  I
really do like it a lot.  But I get lazy with it once in a while and have
expected the converter to fix my errors, rather than concentrate on using
the camera's considerable smarts.  My goal is now to get perfect exposures,
regardless of format.

Joel W.