[OM] Re: Digital cameras - OT?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital cameras - OT?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:43:50 -0400
Hi, Brian.  Send her to dpreview.com for in depth reviews of the
competing cameras.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/>
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/>
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/>
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/>

As a sometimes wedding and event photographer I would recommend the
Canon 20D as the best picture taking machine available in the $1500
range.  It has high resolution (8 MP), very low noise (ISO 1600 and even
3200 are quite usable) and exceptional low light autofocus ability.  For
an OM user it can also be adapted to OM lenses.  However, any of the
Nikons will probably better it in accuracy of TTL metering (not a Canon
strongpoint) and the Minolta 7D will beat both of them in ergonomics.
Despite many happy E-1 users on the Olympus list I can't recommend it
for wedding and event photography because I consider it non-competitive
in noise and low light autofocus.  It's technologically dated at this
point and hopefully the "E-2" will be better.

But all of the major brand DSLR's have their good points and she may
find that particular features or performance in some area is more
important to her than to me.

For example, since I'm often shooting in the near dark of a reception
hall dinner party where I can't see to focus well I depend on the
camera's ability to do it better than me.  I think Canon leads here as
well as in extremely low noise sensors.  The Canon 20D can probably
shoot at ISO 1600 and produce results as good as the E-1 at ISO 400, a 2
stop improvement.  However, the E-1 is the only camera under $2000 that
has a user replaceable, gridded focusing screen, something I highly
value for architectural shots.  The Minolta 7D has an interchangeable,
gridded screen but it must be installed at a service center.  The Nikons
have 1/500th second flash sync which should be great for daylight fill
flash compared to the Canon's maximum 1/250th or the E-1's 1/180th.
However, the Nikons lose their advantage when you realize that the
minimum ISO setting is 200 whereas the other cameras go down to 100.
That too high minimum sensitivity also affects depth of field as you may
have to close the aperture down another stop.  Another point against the
E-1 is that, since this is Olympus's first entry into an autofocus DSLR
there are no large quantities of used autofocus lenses available as
there are for Nikon, Canon and Minolta.  In favor of the E-1 are many
user's reports that it produces the best color straight out of the
camera with no futzing about in PhotoShop.  Against it are that Olympus
has no form of image stabilization whereas Nikon and Canon have image
stabilized lens technology and Minolta builds it into the camera body so
that all lenses benefit from image stabilization.

It's not a simple choice.  She needs to evaluate what's important to
her.  Every one of these cameras has strong and weak points.

Chuck Norcutt