[OM] Re: About RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: About RAW
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:24:44 -0400
Raw files cannot be edited per se but only converted into another format
that can be edited.  During the conversion process, however, one can
modify brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness and white balance.
These are the things that can be altered by changing the brightness
levels of individual color pixels.  Sharpness, for example, is modified
by emphasizing the contrast between adjacent pixels at "edges" which are
typified by sudden brightness changes.  The raw file carries with it all
the settings from the camera at the time it was taken and, if desired,
can be converted using these parameters as defaults.

Once the raw file has been converted into the in-memory format used by
the photo editor then other editing operations can begin.  These might
include further changes to brightness, contrast, etc. but could now also
include cropping, perespective correction and many other forms of
editing which could not be directly applied to a raw file.

When the editing is complete the in-memory format must be converted to
an external file format in order to be saved to disk.  At that point it
must be converted into JPEG, TIFF, PSD or other photo file format other
than the raw format.

Chuck Norcutt