[OM] Re: The Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Re: The Dark Side
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:04:15 -0700
For larger format I always look at:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/search.asp?x=largeformat
and
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/large.htm

I remember Robert White having the Horseman 6x9 version for less than $300
but of course I can't find it now. Robert White is still selling the rotary
back but even horsemanusa.com doesn't list the reflex finder. I've seen a
4x5 version which IRRC sells for about the same as the 6x9 version on yaBe
~$250. Checking BadgerGraphics all I find is Linhof at $795.

I had a Linhoff 6x9 that was designed specifically for Linhof. It looked
like it had half of a hinge so that it could be flipped out of the way of
the film holder. I sold it for about $350. Even if I had been able to get
the Linhof to work on my Horseman, I like the Horseman version better.

I've also seen what is essentially a bag with an eyepiece. I don't remember
how easy it would be to switch between a full frame viewer and a closeup
focusing magnifier.

Both the Horseman and Linhof are hard thick plastic that is fairly
lightweight. They are bigger than a lens but not much of a problem. The big
binocular versions intended for studio work do look too big. For a Horseman
6x9 see yaBe 7511076890. The 4x5 version is more square rather than
pyramidal.

I'll post more if I remember or find anything helpful.

-jeff