[OM] Moments of Weakness

Subject: [OM] Moments of Weakness
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 01:24:37 -0500
During a moment of weakness yesterday I ordered a set of auto extension
tubes for the medium format system.  I've wanted some for quite a
while.  They'll enable 1:1 with the 80mm and about 1:2 with the 150mm.  I
anticipate using the medium format system more often than I have since
acquiring it.  Thinking seriously about 35mm and 210mm lenses for it also .
. . more moments of weakness are very likely to occur in the future.  After
they arrive next week I'll undoubtedly feel compelled to find something to
photograph using them.  Hmmm . . . saw some Majestic Giant Pansies today.

Been using the extension tubes quite a bit lately with the OM's . . .
working slowly on burning up a roll of Scala 200X in the OM-2n with studio
"setup" photographs . . . I hesitate to call them "Still Life" as they are
in some respects, but are not in others.  More "Construction" in
artzy-speak than what most would think of as "Still Life" . . . some are
more between the two than clearly one or the other.  I've been visualizing
oddities lately . . . weird perspectives of small things.  After having the
living room completely rearranged with lights, tripod and some other stuff
to hold and prop things up, I finally relinquished it back to the Other
Half today.  Still not done yet, but the question "When do I get my living
room back?" was becoming more frequent.

I don't know if they will all work . . . they appeared to in the
viewfinder.  At 1:2 to 1:1 macro, I don't have a feel for depth of field in
photo compared to what I see in the viewfinder except knowing it's
extremely shallow.  Put the vari-magnifier and DOF preview buttons to heavy
use.  Also used the 7mm tube on the 35mm f/2.8 shift lens and have no idea
how that will turn out . . . given that Olympus likely never envisioned
such a combination.  Didn't look like there was any vignetting, and
hopefully there wasn't with only 7mm additional extension, but sometimes
that can be hard to see in the viewfinder.

On the up side, the louvers did the trick with the softbox in blocking
light spill from it on the background . . . the louvers and two different
softbox masks were acquired in the last moment of weakness that occurred a
few weeks ago.

-- John Lind