[OM] Re: [Way OT] Off list help from Windows gearheads needed

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 09:12:55 -0400
Thanks, John and Piers.  Regarding total reinstall; been there and done
that a number of times and it's what I was trying to avoid.  Norton
Ghost or some other utility may do it.  I used someone else's Ghost a
few times for other tasks several years ago and I don't recall all of
what it's capable of so I'll have to investigate.  I may also check out
later versions of Partition Magic or other PowerQuest utilities.  Mine
are several years old.

The WD utility (actually produced by "OnTrack") is scary.  After
diddling around with one of the two versions it did partition and format
the drive but failed during the copy.  I viewed the partition details
with Partition Magic which told me there were two errors in the
partition configuration... one of them being that the last sector
address was well beyond the capacity of the disk.  I later tried
rerunning both versions after reattaching the drive as an EIDE drive
instead of USB.  Both versions would no longer run.  One advised me that
there were no Western Digital drives on my system and the other said
that my original boot drive was the only drive on the system.

These are not encouraging error messages when messing with your drives.

Chuck Norcutt