[OM] Re: New website (opinions wanted)

Subject: [OM] Re: New website (opinions wanted)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 21:30:09 -0300
Graham,

I may agree with you about quotes from famous photographers, but the
question could be taken in a broader sense, I mean text and image blending
together and bringing sense one to each other.
I have in mind the work of a recognized photographer of my country, named
Roberto Fernandez Ibáñez. He blends Haiku (as I understood, a form of
japanese poetry with strict semiotics) and makes big B&W prints (dozens and
dozens of them, each with its own haiku).
At first, I felt somehow confused about his approach and even his aesthetic
perception. But soon I realized his images were superb, and so was his
poetry. A melancholic feeling surrounds all his work, IMHO.
Then I understood the complementarity between text and image, and it took me
a while to fully understand those haikus: although written in Spanish, I
found it difficult to disassemble the encrypted feeling.
My point of departure was that an image should explain itself, but he
challenged my conviction, and now I don't know what to think about.

I'm sorry this site does not offer an English version, so his approach is
language-limited (despite the paradox of using a form of japanese poetry -
the *formal* rules for it only).
I hope this doesn't discourage you and everyone to visit this link:
http://www.fotoclub.org.uy/actividades/de-mostrar/rFernandez/

Tom,

The site loads well with IE, but not quite with iCab. Cannot try Mozilla nor
Netscape right now. Did anyone try with Safari?

Regards,

Fernando.
my 0.00076923077 usd