[OM] Re: Unrecognised Zuiko zoom spotted

Subject: [OM] Re: Unrecognised Zuiko zoom spotted
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:11:39 -0500
At 05:22 PM 5/2/2005, Dan Mitchell wrote:
> > Looks legit from the pics.  No opinion otherwise.
> > Isn't there a page in the ESIF about 'prototype' lenses?
>

>http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/lensgroup/zuiko_prototypes.htm
>
>  It looks as if it's the manual-focus version of one of the autofocus
> lenses they made. Not sure if this is good or bad for the optics..
>
>  -- dan

I agree . . . the basic optical train appears to be very similar, if not
the same . . . 14 elements in 11 groups with 55mm front ring.  Its
appearance in 1996 literature is surprisingly late in the game.  I'm
wondering how long it languished on their drawing boards before appearing
in print . . . it is a two-touch.  Would have been a decent replacement for
the 35-70 variable aperture lenses but would have overlapped considerably
with the 35-105/3.5~4.5.

-- John Lind