[OM] Return from the Coast, was Anti-digital moments

Subject: [OM] Return from the Coast, was Anti-digital moments
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 22:02:05 -0700
Gary Edwards wrote:

>I've hauled the OMs along on three expeditions since I got the digital
>********. I've yet to pull one out of the case. Sigh.

We just spent three days on the going through Sonoma County and up the
coast as far as Mendocino.

Not counting those few erased in process, I took 110, 72 and 94 digital
shots, for a three day total of 276.

The OM-4 was used for 87 shots, so the ratio was about 3 to 1. Keeper
ratio still to be determined. :-)

Quite a number of shots were pretty closely duplicated with both
cameras, so I hope to learn more about my personal film vs. digital results.

I noticed a few things:

It's hard to keep the differences in exposure characteristics in mind
when switching back and forth a lot, remembering to shoot "to the right"
for digital and the opposite for color neg film. Especially with
subjects like sunsets.

It's occasionally a shock going from the large to small viewfinder
image. Visually it sometimes felt for a moment like a change in angle of
view. However, at least for me, it just takes a second and I'm at home
with either one. I sure wish the OM would show the aperture setting in
the viewfinder, though!

I didn't really notice a particular difference in shutter
vibration/noise in the moment. They both make a noise, so what? was what
I felt. I saved a couple of shots on the end of one roll, which is the
last of a discontinued film, to save for shooting an an IT8 target for
film profiling. To shoot those, I had to go through 35 blank shots.
Using a CLAed OM-1 that John H. did a couple of years ago and I bought
since then, I really noticed how amazingly smoooth and quiet seeming the
whole shutter operation is. Nice!

The place where the DSLR has undone me is in winding the film. I already
knew before the trip that my old tendency to sometimes forget to wind,
then later fream, push the shutter button... and nothing, was worse. So
I gave up and used a Winder 2. As others have said, it does seem to
steady the camera a bit, especially with the rather big, heavy Kiron
28-210 lens that was on it much of the time. I wouldn't like to take all
that on much of a hike, but it was fine shooting mostly near car or lodging.

I really need a wider lens for the 300D. I took along the Viv S1
19-35/3.5-4.5. Great on the OM, but only 30mm eq on the 300D. But which
one? Decisions, decisions.

Comments on and possible samples of the results will have to wait on the
scanning going on as I write. I only have the film developed, so I don't
know what I have until scanning is done.

Moose