[OM] Re: A cautionary tale

Subject: [OM] Re: A cautionary tale
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:08:25 -0400
An OM dropped hard enough to dent the top and break the prism often breaks
the metal casting that supports the prism (that's the entire front casting)
so camera becomes beyond repair. A top and prism for an OM-1 would be $90
total.  A 4, 2S, 4T etc. dropped the same way could also tear the main flex
or crack an (epoxy encased) IC.  ICs never available separately, and good
luck getting the potting off to even get AT the ICs.

Digital parts prices are outlandishly high for , imo, mutiple reasons.  1)
discourage outside repair and keep independent shops from making a profit
(hence the attempts of some manufacturers to keep digital repair manuals out
of the hands of those who need them.)  2) a vast majority of repairs (95% +)
brought into the manufacturers and left there by customers paying for and
expecting
"factory service"are never touched by the manufacturer technicians.
Instead, they are outsourced to subcontractors.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
Olympus OM Service since 1977