[OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak 422D/Module

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak 422D/Module
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:01:58 -0400
Yes, the foot is replaceable and requires the OT-1D module for OM TTL.
I have a 422D (not for sale) and also a spare OT-1D (which I will sell
if you need one)

According to prior posts from John Lind the following Sunpak flashes use
the OT-1D for OM-TTL although the handle mounted flashes require the use
of the  EXT-10 or EXT-11 extension cords in order to keep the OT-1D in
the hotshoe.

120J TTL (shoe mount on flash bottom or remote with EXT-10 cord)
555 (handle mount; requires EXT-11 cord)
622 /Super/Super Pro (handle mount; requires EXT-11 cord)
444D TTL (shoe mount on flash bottom or remote with EXT-10 cord)
422D (shoe mount)
30DX (shoe mount)
333D  (shoe mount)
DX-8R (ring flash)
DX-12R (ring flash)

Search the archives for mid-August 2003 for John's original notes on teh
subject.  The also include comments on other Sunpak flashes that give OM
TTL capability (such as the 522 with remote sensor OT-5) but do not use
the OT-1D module.

Note that the 433D is unlike the 422D and 444D.  The 433D is a dedicated
TTL flash but does not have a replaceable shoe.  John's comments further
indicate that there may not have been an OM version of this flash.

The 422D accepts NiCD and NiMH batteries which was the subject or a
recent post of mine labeled "A battery tale" or some such.  I came to
believe that my 422D was dead after inserting some NiMH batteries that I
thought had been recently recharged.  Turns out that, although not used
recently, I had acidentally skipped recharging them.  Enough time had
passed that the self-discharge on the NiMH's had taken the voltage low
enough that the flash did absolutely nothing.  A set of fresh alkalines
showed the flash to be very much alive.  Be warned.

Chuck Norcutt