[OM] Re: 1.35 volt 625 Wein Zinc Batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: 1.35 volt 625 Wein Zinc Batteries
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 10:12:12 -0400
I don't think you want this "revitalizing kit" at $12.50 buy it now.

Nothing wrong with the Wein cell except that you can probably buy one
from a local photo shop for about $5.  The Wein cell is only one of many
solutions to the mercury cell problem and, in my opinion, not the best.
  The Wein cell is a zinc oxide battery similar to those used in hearing
aids.  It is activated by exposing it to air which is done by peeling
off a sticker to reveal some small holes underneath.  Once exposed to
air the cell starts to discharge whether under load or not.  I think its
life will be measured in months once opened.

Everything you'll ever want to know (and more) about dealing with the
mercury battery problem can be found here:
<http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf>

The "revitalizing kit" also contains a "no mar" battery cover removal
tool.  The best "no mar" battery cover removal tool is actually a fairly
recently minted US nickel that doesn't have much edge wear.  It fits
snugly into the cover slot, doesn't slip and costs only 5 cents.  I have
one with a hole drilled through it on my key chain.

The "revitalizing kit" also contains a 10" strip of *self adhesive*
foam.  If you want to refoam your camera I will advise you to steer
clear of self adhesive foam.  You're more likely to make a mess as you
discover that the adhesive on the foam wants to adhere to the sides of
the channels as you try to install it.  If you want to refoam the camera
better you should read the refoaming instructions on John Hermansons web
site. <http://zuiko.com/7Backfoam.htm>  John also sells foam kits but
they are also sold elsewhere.  You can also make your own with a metal
straight edge, a sharp razor knife and a souce of foam material such as
an old mouse pad.

If you search the archives you will also find about 100,000 entries
covering these same points.

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt