[OM] File recovery

Subject: [OM] File recovery
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 14:27:21 -0500
Well, I finally did it.

Instead of transferring files from my CF card to the computer to sort
through the images, I opened Olympus Viewer and did some browsing.  I'd
been shooting RAW +SQ with the E-1, so I was checking out the jpgs
quickly.  They are easy to delete in browse mode, but you really need to go
to view mode to see the images large enough to know what you got in the
shot.  View mode also allows you to delete, but since it always has one
image open, it won't let you delete that image (since it's open).  If you
highlight two images, it will delete one, but not the other, since one of
them will be open.  It gives you an error message to that effect, but the
consequences of trying to do this appear to be more dire than the message
suggests.

Wanting to delete and being too lazy to go back to browser mode combined to
cause me, somehow, to lose every image on the card.  I tried to delete an
image in view mode in the manner just described, couldn't, then tried to
switch to browse mode to delete the image and, pow, I managed to nuke the
entire "100Olymp" folder from the CF card.  Never saw anything like it and
have never had anything like it happen to me before.

I downloaded a freeware file recovery program (PC Inspector Smart
Recovery).  It ran through a standard recovery algorithm and then a deep
recovery one but could recover no files.  The recovery program seems to
look for files -- in this case, specifically for .ORF files -- whereas I
lost the entire folder the files were in.  Don't know if the program could
restore the files without also restoring the folder first.  Is there a way
to do that?

I'm open to suggestions.  The loss is not horrendous, but there were a
couple shots I wouldn't mind having back.

Joel W.