[OM] Re: File recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: File recovery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 18:26:48 -0400
First, I would advise you in the future to never have your computer
write back to the CF card.  Supposedly it's logically a standard FAT or
FAT-32 disk but I've heard too many stories of incompatibilty with the
camera.  Perhaps it's nothing but the directory structure that the
camera expects but I prefer to stay away.

All that said, it would appear that you've located a bug in Olympus
Viewer.  Hard to say what it actually did except that it wrote some
trash to the CF card somewhere.  I think it's highly unlikey that it
actually erased all the images, however.

I think all or most of them are still there.  I think I'd look for a
smarter utility.  Lexar has a free utility which comes installed on
their cards.  What was on my cards was version 1.5 which had to be
upgraded to version 2.0 from here:
<http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#software?
It claims to work on all media types from all manufacturers.
Fortunately, I've never had to use it so I can't tell you how well it works.

Don't know what type of media card you have but it might pay to look around.

Chuck Norcutt