[OM] Re: File recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: File recovery
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 10:57:37 -0500
At 09:24 AM 5/8/2005 -0400, Chuck you wrote:
>When it works as it's supposed to it's only a single bit that gets
>changed.  The bit indicates that the file has been deleted and that any
>space occupied by the file is available for re-use (if needed).  The
>space will not actually be re-used unless there is no other free space
>available.  This is precisely to allow for recovery of accidentally
>deleted files.  To show my age, I was actually there when this design
>change was made to PC-DOS about 20 years ago.  Your camera runs a DOS clone.
>
>Although it's only a single bit that is supposed to change it's not
>possible to read or write anything other than "clusters".  A cluster is
>a group of 1 or more "sectors" which are blocks of 512 bytes.  So,
>changing a single bit means reading and writing a minimum of 512 bytes
>and possibly much more depending on CF size.  If the Oly software has a
>bug (what software doesn't) it gives it an opportunity to corrupt
>something else in that block of data.  I believe in not offering the
>opportunity if it can be helped.

I had always heard that deleting meant removing the first character of the
filename.  It doesn't sound quite like that is the same as what you are
describing.

Up to now, I have tended just to use Windows Explorer to upload files from
the CF card to the HD.  I usually block them and then go to the Edit menu
and select "Move to Folder."  This then leaves no files on the CF card, so
obviously Windows is deleting the files on the CF card.

I have the option of selecting "Copy to Folder" in Win Explorer.  I have
often wondered if it wouldn't be better to use this and then reformat the
CF card in the camera, but I've never done it because it seemed like a
hassle.  Is that what you do?

Joel W.