[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 05:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
One thing that jumped out at me is the noise-reduction in the
Canon picture used in the last comparison frame.  Looks a little
heavy.  That smooth watercolor look is NR at work.  I'm assuming
in-camera NR.

As to resolution, well, a 6MP camera with good technique is able
to match 35mm in most cases. However, much of that "noise" is
probably film choice.  An equal application of NR to the film
shot would result in similar noise characteristics.

I've taken 35mm scans of grainy films, applied NR and then
downsampled them to the 6MP size. Amazingly enough, they are
almost dead knockoffs of the digital shots.

My question is, which looks better PRINTED?  Typically a little
random noise is necessary to give a picture life. I've even been
known to add HSV noise to the final picture to get the print to
look right.  To the WALTs in the world, the Canon shot is the
one that produces those "underwater" pictures.

As to pleasing color rendition, I'll keep my comments to myself,
other than to say that nobody has Velvia figured out yet.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com