[OM] Re: thinking about trying black and white

Subject: [OM] Re: thinking about trying black and white
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:19:19 -0400
James,

I am sure you will get lots of recommendations in addition to my thoughts.

I would start with Ilford Delta 100 for the film. Do you scan your negatives
or prefer to get proof prints done? If you scan perhaps the best idea is to
get yourself a tank and develop the negs yourself. It really doesn't require
a large commitment in terms of space or cost (buying some of the items
second hand is a good place to start). I recently completed my first
darkroom course at a local college and they gave us one months free use of
the darkroom after the course ended. Perhaps a local college to you has a
beginners level course which will get you into it. The basics are very easy
to learn, mastering it is of course down to your drive to learn and improve.
Alternatively if you are going to scan perhaps finding a local pro(ish)
level lab to just do the negs for you (a local pro lab to me does C41 and
B&W negs for around $3.50 a roll). It has been a while since I left the UK
but I would check and see if Peak Imaging can do just the negs and at what
cost. Their quality was very high when I used them and the pricing
reasonable.

Have fun with it!

Dan S.