[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:14:07 +0100
The basic problem with film vs. digital as that any possible comparison is by
nature hugely and unhelpfully favourable to digital.

Digitalising film to compare it with digital media is just grossly unfair.

The only real comparison is to project a slide to a good size and compare it
with a true-pixel projection of a digital image. But no projector I know gets
anywhere near the 3000x2000 resolution of a 6MP camera, let alone the
4500x3000-odd resolution of the pro digital SLRs. So that comparison simply
isn't possible.

By way of example, I have a photo of our son with a 50€ note in his paw, and on
that 50€ note is written "für Max". Projected at 7 x 5 by a (not particularly
good scanner) onto a (not particularly good) screen the words are clearly
visible. When scanned in at 4,800 dpi on our Epson 4990, though the grain of
the film can be seen, the words are a complete blur.

Regards,

Simon