[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 21:36:55 -0500
At 09:00 PM 5/9/2005, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>Is there a commercial color lab left in the US that actually uses
>optical enlargers?  I think not.

Yes . . . the two I use do . . . it's one of the things I asked about and
periodically ensure they're still doing . . . presuming "commercial =
professional full service."  However one must pay extra for optical
prints.  The cost of optically printing B&W on resin (at one lab) and on
fiber (at the other), surprisingly isn't that bad.  An optically printed
Ilfochrome costs about twice as much . . . but even a "commercial" Ilfo on
a German Flex-20 (IIRC a scan and laser print process) isn't cheap . . .
the Ilfochrome and its developing is a big piece of the pie.

-- John Lind